I am going share with you an obsession I have, a strange
interest that seems to have got slightly worse since the invention of internet,
football kits!!
I am not quite sure where my obsession with football kits
started, I remember getting "Shoot" and "Match" when I was
a kid and looking over new kits, I remember that Umbro once used this double
page spread that showcased their new range of kits for the season, probably
something like 1988/89 season because I remember the three England kits with
the same template (White/Red/Pale Blue)!!
What is wrong with me, why should I remember that in so much
detail!! The thing is its not just the
kit, it’s the background, it’s the history of why teams use certain colours,
Millwall play in blue because of the Scottish roots of the club, Italy play in
their Blue because it is the colour of the Royal Family, this stuff truly
releases the inner geek in me! I've got
books on them, I regularly check websites on them (don’t want to miss out on
some breaking news!!), new kits, retro kits, I love them all!!
Now what has started out as just football, has spread into
other sports. Cricket and all the one
day shirts that various teams have around the world, rugby they all interest
me! I even got a collection of shirts
that spreads over probably three or four boxes and suitcases in my loft as well
as my wardrobe, from memory of got Millwall (I dread to think how many),
England, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, USA, Lincoln City, Brazil,
Tottenham! Kent CCC, England Cricket, Indian Cricket, South African Rugby, NZ
Rugby and I'm sure I could go on and on and probably on!!
So fast forward a decade or two and we arrive at today. The kit obsession is now pretty bad, I think
I've bored some of my friends at work to death about the new Adidas Team GB
Kits (which I would like to add I think the football shirt is pretty awesome)
and this brings me to following question, is it just me? Today there was a massive thing about Adidas
releasing Team GB's kits, for all the Olympic Sports, I know it’s probably
because it’s in London….
But am I just a Marketing Man's dream or like me is the
whole world becoming a little more kit obsessed!!

No comments:
Post a Comment