A couple of months ago a competition was held at my work for
one of two chances to be part of “Olympic Torch Relay”. We had to write an inspiring piece related to
sport/London/Olympics, this was my entry…..
I believe that I
should be given the opportunity to carry the flame for running this year's
London Marathon. That may not sound a
good enough reason alone but those that know me will understand that I am built
for comfort and cuddles and not endurance running and the fact that I could not
walk up the stairs with being out of breath before I started training, you may
begin to see the challenge I was undertaking.
Six months’ worth of
training, getting up at 5am most mornings to run in the wind, rain and snow all
seemed worth it on that HOT Sunday in April when the City of London came
together to support 40,000 of us plodding round its streets. Running through London the streets lined with
steel drum bands, Gospel choirs singing and most importantly the hundreds of
thousands of people who are shouting your name (it was on my vest) willing you
on to the finish was an amazing experience.
I found that even though the heat was sapping my energy and I was
feeling pain that I had never put my body through before, I had a smile on my
face every minute and I can only describe it as enjoyable, as this was my
Olympics and I was battling for my Gold Medal.
If the way I felt that Sunday is 1% of how an elite athlete feels when
they compete in the Olympics, especially with the backing of the people of London
behind them, I have a new appreciation and understanding why they dedicate
themselves to their sports and battle for their Gold Medals.
As I was lucky enough
to be selected via the ballot I could run for the charity of my choice, I
choose The Demelza Hospice, a locally based Children's charity that provides
care for Children with Life-Limiting illnesses, with the support of my family
and of course my friends and colleagues at Eurostar I was able to raise nearly
£2,200 including Gift Aid. At Ashford Contact
Centre the Social Club supported my efforts, my Team at the time (Group Sales)
held a packed lunch service for the rest of ACC and general sponsorship of all
those around the business helped me raise this amount. I was then invited to visit the hospice in
action, this was a moving experience and confirmed to me that I was running for
the right charity.
I would love to be
part of this once in a lifetime opportunity not only to represent Eurostar but
to help raise awareness to an amazing charity.
No, I didn’t win!!

No comments:
Post a Comment